Lázně Bělohrad is a small town, situated in the region under the Giant Mountains in a beautiful, ecologically clean hollow. It is protected by the bluish Chlumy salients to the south-west and the Stone Mountain rises to the north. The ruins of castles Kumburk and Bradlec, together with the Tábor Mountain, face the town from the west. The Zvičina Mountain (671 m) guards the hollow. The populatiton of Lázně Bělohrad is 3 759. The town of today was founded in 1354 along the little Javorka river. A wooden stronghold, called Koštofrank, and a wooden church, later with school, used to stand in the midst of a previous long-established settlement. This estate belonged to the Bořek nobles of Nová Ves. Jindřich Škopek of Bílé Otradovice bought it in 1543. His son Jan built a new stronghold in 1556. It was made of white stone, thus the name – Bělohrad, meaning White Castle. Vilém Lamboy – a cruel persecutor of Non Catholics, bought the whole manor in 1643. At this time Třetí strana Street was settled by German colonists. In 1669 the Valdštejn nobles gained Bělohrad. Bertold Vilém of Valdštejn built the Church of All Saints in 1689. In the beginning of 18th century the original stronghold was completely rebuilt to the baroque mansion house. Its final look comes from 1724. Bělohrad was promoted in 1722 to the status of town by the Emperor Karel VI. In 1905 it was renamed Lázně Bělohrad. The town was the birthplace and place of work of the writers Karel Václav Rais, Leontina Mašínová and the composer Karel Moor.
In 1872 Maxmilián Dormitzer built a wooden building with three bathrooms for summer water baths. It was situated on the left bank of the Javorka river. A Prussian countess, Anna of Asseburg, learnt of the mineral-rich peat reserves of Bažantnice. In 1885 the history of the spa began. Medical procedures are effective for the treatment of rheumatic and degenerative disorders of the motor system and also for treatment of neurological and blood-vessel disorders and burn casualties. These medical procedures are provided for both adults and children. The spa has an excellent reputation at home and abroad. Not only pacients, but also visitors of our town can spend leisure time in a swimming pool or playing minigolf in the area of the spa.
The Czech song and dance ensemble Hořeňák from the town of Lázně Bělohrad was founded in 1949, with Professor Vratislav Vycpálek, a pedagogue of music, standing at its cradle. Its Programme is composed of dances, songs and folktales from the region of the Giant Mountains and the Zvičina Mountain. The national costumes have been made by the staff of the Ethnographic Museum in Prague. The ensemble has organized song and dance festivals „Pod Zvičinou“ in Lázně Bělohrad since 1975. They participate in festivals all over Europe, America and Asia.